ITV has released official story details for the next episode of Victoria.
Jenna Coleman (Doctor Who) and Tom Hughes (The Game) are back as Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in eight new episodes, followed by a feature-length special at Christmas.
Titled ‘Faith, Hope & Charity’, the sixth episode of Season 2 will air at 9pm on Sunday 1 October on ITV in the UK.
Here are some hints at what’s coming up in the episode:
1. As news of the horrific famine in Ireland reaches the Queen, Victoria is adamant that her government should be doing more to help.
2. However, Prime Minister Peel is trapped, knowing that to send food to the Irish would destabilise his party and jeopardise his career.
3. With Albert blinded by his trust in Peel, Victoria begins to question her own convictions.
4. Meanwhile, the shockwaves from the famine reach right into the Palace, dividing the household and bringing agony for Cleary.
5. No longer able to watch his parish starve, the Reverend Dr. Traill arrives on Victoria’s doorstep with a determined plea for her to intervene. But will his desperate testimony be enough to overcome deep-rooted prejudices, and for Victoria to convince her Prime Minister to act?
6. There are huge sacrifices to come, and ultimately Victoria will come to realise that, in the face of such appalling tragedy, no act of charity can be great enough.
The first season of Victoria is available now on DVD.
Season 2 will air in the US from Sunday January 14, 2018 on Masterpiece on PBS.