ITV has released official story details for the first episode of Victoria‘s new season.
Jenna Coleman (Doctor Who) and Tom Hughes (The Game) will return as Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in eight new episodes this autumn, followed by a feature-length special at Christmas.
Titled ‘A Soldier’s Daughter’, the first episode of Season 2 will air at 9.05pm on Sunday August 27 on ITV in the UK.
Here are some hints at what’s coming up in the episode:
1. Picking up a month after the birth of her first child, the new season sees Queen Victoria surprise the court when she insists on returning to her duties as soon as possible.
2. Having taken charge in her absence, adoring new father Albert decides not to trouble his wife with worrying news regarding the British soldiers in Afghanistan.
3. However, as the reports worsen, Victoria grows increasingly suspicious that he and Prime Minister Robert Peel are hiding something from her.
4. Determined to reclaim her place with characteristic impulsiveness, Victoria brings in the formidable Duchess of Buccleuch as her new Mistress of the Robes and demands that former chef, Francatelli, return to the palace kitchens.
5. Meanwhile, Albert’s family descend on the palace for the Christening of baby Vicky and their dynastic plotting only intensifies Victoria’s sense of frustration. Convinced that the truth is being kept from her, Victoria seeks answers from the Duke of Wellington.
Victoria launched in the UK in August 2016 and premiered in the US earlier this year. Season 1 is available now on DVD.
Season 2 will air in the US on Masterpiece on PBS from January 2018.