ITV has released new story details for this month’s festive episode of Victoria.
The hit period drama’s two-hour Christmas special will air at 9pm on Monday 25 December on ITV, with Jenna Coleman (Doctor Who) and Tom Hughes (The Game) reprising their roles as Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.
Written by series creator Daisy Goodwin, ‘Comfort And Joy’ will celebrate all of the festivities of a Victorian Christmas at Buckingham Palace.
Here are seven hints for the feature-length episode:
1. Set in Christmas 1846, the episode sees Victoria uncharacteristically melancholy as she prepares to tackle her first Christmas without her beloved Baroness Lehzen.
2. Pregnant with her and Albert’s fourth child, the festive period reminds her of her lonely childhood spent at Kensington.
3. Albert, on the other hand is gripped by an obsession with staging the perfect family Christmas, transforming the palace into a magical festive wonderland.
4. Tensions arise between him and Victoria, however, when Albert invites some unwelcome house guests to join the celebrations.
5. Below stairs, having accepted their feelings for one another, Francatelli and Skerrett are finally together.
6. However, as romances amongst staff are forbidden, the pair cannot show that they’re in love to their co-workers which puts strain on the relationship.
7. The situation complicates further when Skerrett inherits a large estate from an estranged uncle.
Victoria launched in the UK in August 2016 and premiered in the US earlier this year. Season 1 is available now on DVD.
Season 2 begins in the US on Sunday 14 January 2018 on Masterpiece on PBS.