The creator of World on Fire has provided the first details about the next season.
All the main cast are likely to return, including Oscar-winner Helen Hunt (As Good As It Gets), Sharpe star Sean Bean, Lesley Manville (Mum), Jonah Hauer-King (Little Women) and Julia Brown (The Last Kingdom).
World on Fire aired in the US earlier this year on PBS, where it was also a huge success.
Spanning the years 1940 to 1941, the second season of World on Fire is expected to begin filming later this year for broadcast in 2021.
While we patiently wait for the new episodes to arrive, the show’s writer Peter Bowker has offered PBS seven hints about what awaits some of the main characters:
1. “Season 2 will start, historically, with the blitz in the Northwest of England.”
2. “Kasia and Lois will meet, and the fallout from that, I think for everybody, will be interesting and fascinating.”
3. “North Africa will be very much the field of battle.”
4. “We’ll find out more about Webster’s family history.”
5. “Nancy will finally have to leave Berlin near the start of the [season], for crossing a line, and we will also find out more about Nancy. And she will carry on.”
6. “[Nancy] will definitely be in the Soviet Union for some of it.”
7. “Lois, of course, [is] trapped in a rather Brontë-esque, loveless marriage with Vernon.”
Peter Bowker previously revealed that he hopes to dramatise the entire Second World War over six seasons of the show.
World on Fire is available on DVD on Amazon.