Poldark is back on UK screens next weekend and the BBC has released new details for Season 4’s opening episode.
Set in 1796, the new season will see Ross defend Cornwall from an empowered George Warleggan, while Demelza finds her loyalties torn and Elizabeth tries to strengthen her marriage.
Episode 1 airs at 9pm on Sunday 10 June on BBC One. Here are some official story hints:
1. Prime Minister Pitt (Edward Bennett) calls an election and uncertainty grips the country.
2. While Ross watches Cornwall suffer under the power of Truro’s MP, George Warleggan (Jack Farthing), Demelza’s infidelity leaves her torn between her husband and a lovesick Hugh, who is set to rival George in the upcoming election.
3. The Enyses contemplate having a child and Elizabeth seeks the same to secure her marriage.
4. Meanwhile, Morwenna (Ellise Chappell) uses Osborne’s (Christian Brassington) affair with her sister Rowella (Esme Coy) to keep the reverend’s advances at bay.
5. Demelza seeks to reconcile rival local Lords Falmouth and Basset.
6. A corn riot erupts in Truro, and Zacky’s (Tristan Sturrock) son Jago (Jack Riddiford) leads the charge.
7. Sam Carne (Tom York) and Drake Carne (Harry Richardson) attempt to dissuade him but arrive too late, and a merchant is killed in the fighting.
8. Tom Harry (Turlough Convery) tells George that the Carnes and Jago murdered the man, and Ross finds himself powerless to save his brothers-in-law.
The complete first and second seasons of Poldark are available to buy on DVD now.
It was recently confirmed by the BBC that Poldark will return for a fifth season next year.